Thursday 27 October 2011

Meal Planning Woes

via Pinterest


Meal planning. I hate it. Every night trying to think of something yummy but healthy, easy and quick to cook for dinner. It requires so much effort, and organisation and planning. We do a weekly grocery shop, but if I don't get my butt into gear prior to the shop and pick a few new recipes to try out, we end up eating the same meals... usually an easy mexican night (burritos or tacos), spaghetti, some kind of stir fry, steak and vegies, chicken kebabs and salad, meatballs and vegies.

Lately I have been trying to mix it up a bit. I introduced 'meatfree Monday' which means I HAVE to get creative and make something tasty and new because Mr B will not settle for bland (he loves his meat). A new fave is corn fritters with chilli relish and salad.

I also have a lot of recipe books, so I went through them and picked a few recipes out that I knew picky Mr B would like, and I've tagged them with a little yellow sticky note to remind me that we've had that recipe AND it got the thumbs up from Mr B. I'll often forget about recipes that we've tried and liked, so this is a good reminder for me.

But sometimes I just get so frustrated with the whole meal planning and cooking dinner process... Its tough! For just one night I'd like Mr B to take control in the kitchen and cook ME dinner... actually, I'd like to challenge him to do it for a whole week including doing the grocery shopping. Then he'd see how hard it is. I know he can cook. He's actually quite good in the kitchen, and I always love watching him because he's very careful and exacting with how he does things, and he likes to pretend he's a Jamie Oliver type cook talking to the camera and explaining what he's doing. But he uses the old excuse of 'you're better at it than me' and says he'd rather take us out for dinner than cook it.

Hmmppphh.

And next year, when I return to work for 3 days a week, its going to be even more annoying and tough! Working AND having to do groceries and meal planning and look after a baby. I think I'm going to have to implement some kind of Mr-B-cooks-on-certain-nights roster (yes, you heard right Mr B)!

C xo

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I can so imagine him doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you go back to work you'll have to share the duties I think otherwise you'll burn out with all the tasks falling to you.

    I hate cooking something every night. Hate it. I am happy having cereal most nights but unfortunately kids need proper meals. Sigh.

    Luckily the hubs is a fantastic cook and takes over every weekend otherwise I would go loco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know L! Typical hey?

    And Aneets - you are so lucky to have a hubby that cooks on the weekends! Mr B will do a mean pizza every now and again but I'll definitely need his help more often when I return to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes months of training to get you all ready, start now Cath. Get him to pick up a bit more of the housework, you think you'll be able to catch up but you can wear yourself out trying to do it all. I HATE the 'what are we having for dinner?' question and the answer I don't care doe not cut the mustard either. Carmel

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you! C xo