Tuesday 18 October 2011

Being Happy with Mediocrity



My friend L sent me a link to an article last week that triggered the thoughts behind this blog post. Mediocrity. It sounds like such a bad word. Mediocre. Average.

Urban Dictionary defines mediocre as:

Not good, not bad, but a negative term nonetheless. Often used to describe something that is average, but was expected to be much better.
But why? Why should it be seen as a negative thing? Why aren't we happy with our mediocre, average, every day lives?

It seems to be drummed into us from an early age, this need to always be striving for bigger, better things. Better job, more money, bigger car, bigger house. And whilst yes, always striving for more does have its benefits, why can't we just pause for a while, and appreciate what we've already got?

I had a health scare last year, and it made me realise that life is too short. I realised that I didn't want to always be wishing I had more or had the biggest and bestest things. I had to stop for a while and really put things into perspective. I now like to sit and reflect on that time when I'm feeling low or when I'm looking at someone who I think has everything. I have to remember that I do have everything. I have my health, a husband who loves me, a beautiful baby, wonderful friends, a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my belly.

See, mediocrity doesn't have to be that bad.

I hope you can pause for a while today and appreciate the wonderful things you have in your life.

C xo

1 comment:

  1. No, mediocrity doesn't have to be that bad, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T APPLY HERE. (Yes, that's yelling.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you! C xo