Wednesday 9 November 2011

Retail Snobbery

Lately I've been thinking about how I have evolved as a shopper and lover of retail over the years... My preference for certain shops has evolved with the amount of money I earn, and now I think I'm coming full circle... Here me out.

When I was a teenager and living in a regional town, there weren't many options for shopping. Only your big chain stores (Target, Big W, Kmart, etc) and smaller clothing chains such as Crossroads and Rockmans were available, in addition to the local surf shop. I remember well when Supre came to town. My sisters and I were so so excited (oh, the shame!). We'd save up our dollars to buy some dodgily made cotton t-shirt or polyester skirt, but we felt so cool to be wearing clothes from the newest, hippest store in town.

And then as we got older, we discovered op shopping. We'd spend our Saturday mornings rummaging through the second hand stores finding lots of bargains and handing over our small change to the little old ladies who were volunteering at the store.

But then I moved to Brisbane for uni and had access to a wider variety of shops - the ones I only dreamed about being close to when I lived in the regional town - Sportsgirl, Witchery, Nine West... the list could go on!. Only problem was I didn't have the money to buy anything from them! I remember I used to survive week by week on only a small amount of money. We'd set aside money for rent, bills, food, drinking and whatever was left I could spend on shopping. We'd hit the outlet shops and also head straight for the sale sections within our favourite stores.

When I had finished uni and found my first job, my shopping/spending habits didn't change too much, but as my income grew, so too did my love of higher end retail... Hello David (Jones), my new lover. I had a full on love affair with David. He and I got along so well. I even agreed to sign up to his store card. Oh heaven! He really knew how to push my buttons. I used to love walking into David - the smell of clean white floors, crisp new shirts, new leather shoes and spritz's of perfume... Ahhhhhhh... And this is how my retail snobbery began. For years I'd snob all of those other retail stores I grew up with and only shop at David or Country Road or Witchery or other David Jones affiliated stores and I'd ignore your Target's and Temt's and Barkins and Portmans thinking I was much better than them.

But lately I have been appreciating these stores a whole lot more, and its definitely as a result of the shopping ban - less money equals looking for budget fashions. You can look good on a budget - I know a lot of lovely ladies in my life that don't spend a lot on clothes, but they always look fantastic. So I have realised that I shouldn't ignore these budget chains at all. Often hiding inside them are little gems!

I am loving this dress from Barkins. Its $59.95 and would be great for the Christmas party season.


And Katies isn't as 'Nanna' as you think... I'm also loving this animal print shirred waist dress. Also $59.95


And this polka dot trilby hat from Portmans - only $24.95. Love!
And Kmart and Big W - who knew?!! They are surprisingly good for the everyday basics, and I love the range of Bonds on hand at Big W.

My friend A fully rates Target jeans. She says they are awesome and have a really great fit. In fact, the $8.50 pair of jeans I bought from Lifeline the other day are Target jeans and she was right - they fit quite well (except for the length but I often have that problem in any pair of pants).

So, all i'm saying is that yes, your taste in retail will change in line with what's happening in your life at the time, but don't forget your previous loves - they still have feelings and will surprise you when you go to visit them again.

C xo

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty similar. Have always op shopped, stems from my poor student days but once I started earning real money I was Myer girl all the way.

    These days I am less a snob & have pretty much the entire Bonds range at Big W too & an assortment of Target dresses. I still op shop though.

    Actually, yesterday was the first time I ventured into one of those Temt type stores & I bought a dress for $10 which is seriously cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we have very shopping habits and tastes Aneets! C xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you! C xo