Monday 5 September 2011

My Shopping Detox

My name is Catherine, and I like to shop. I love dresses and shoes, earrings and tops, necklaces, jackets, skirts, belts and headbands. I love shopping. I love the thrill of it, of buying something new, the rush you get when you walk out of the store with your new purchase in a pretty paper bag. What I don't like is the amount of money I spend on new things when I know I have enough in my wardrobe already (and also the resultant damage this does to my credit cards!).

via Pinterest


Lately I have been tossing up the idea of a shopping ban. I know there a lot of women out there in the blogosphere who have documented their shopping ban - some people are even doing it for a whole year! They are almighty strong. Me, I am thinking a 6 month ban will be a good goal to start with, and then I can re-evaluate at that point.

I want to do this shopping ban and be serious about it. Hence, why I am blogging about it. So many times I have said to myself, 'No more shopping', but who do I have to answer to? You will keep me honest lovely blog readers.

via Pinterest


Now, I need to evaluate why I am doing this shopping ban. There are a number of reasons, firstly, because I am currently on maternity leave and we need to save as much money as we can until I return to work next year, but even then I will only be returning to work part time and the saving will need to continue.

Secondly, I think that I use shopping as a bit of a hobby, and I find that I only seem to value items when they are brand new, which is ridiculous I know, but for example - I have had a lovely Leona Edmiston dress in my wardrobe for over 2 years now and I have NEVER worn it. I am whipping it out for my brother in laws wedding in a few weeks though. And Mr B's biggest gripe is that I have several pairs of shoes in my closet that I also have never worn. Oh dear, - I am a shopaholic!

via Pinterest


So, what are the rules?

  1. I cannot buy anything I can wear (however I can spend gift vouchers that I currently have sitting in my wallet since Christmas and my birthday, and I can accept gifts of clothing, jewellery etc);
  2. I can make clothes and jewellery for myself and any supplies I need for these ventures;
  3. I can buy essential items only when needed (e.g. undies, etc)
My aim for this shopping ban is to make the best use of my existing wardrobe, to realise the potential I have within it, and to also see how it will affect me - what will I learn about myself during this time?

I hope you will support me during this time. As of today, Monday the 5th September I am officially on a shopping ban until 5th March 2012. And I will be doing a lot of window shopping in the meantime...

via Pinterest


C xo

1 comment:

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you! C xo