Thursday 22 March 2012

Fashion is my Food

So, tonight I treated myself to a spot of 'late night shopping' at the local Westfield. There is a definite difference between the late night shoppers and the middle of the day shoppers. Its fun to suss out the key differences. There's lots of teenagers and DINK's (Double Income No Kids), but I was surprised to still see quite a few mothers with children under the age of 1. I guess I never noticed before when I used to shop on a Thursday night (before I was a mother, before I had a child of my own). I wonder how they do it? How do they keep their baby up after 7pm? Not in a 'Oh my gosh, I can't believe they are keeping their baby up, that's so irresponsible' kind of way, more in a 'How do they physically keep them awake for that long?' kind of way. Hmmmm ok, both sound bad and judgey wudgey, but hear me out! 

We'll stay out late every once in a while, but Miss L is almost always in bed at 7pm. Mostly because she is just zonked by that time, and partly because lately she has been cutting out her day sleeps, but also because I was hardcore into establishing her bedtime routine right from the start. Dinner at 5pm, bath at 6pm, bottle at 6:30pm, play, then bed. It works for us, but can also be limiting. Miss L doesn't sleep well at the best of times so if she's in bed at 7pm and wakes up at 5:30am, I can deal with that. I know she's had a decent enough sleep and the strict bedtime is the one part of her sleep routine that I can control now that she refuses her day sleeps and wakes up whenever the hell she wants to during the night. Even when we put her to bed later, she still wakes up at some ridiculously early hour. Uggh. The sleep issue will always be there I guess and I know I just have to ride it out. A good friend said to me once that there are two types of baby in this world - the ones that sleep, and the ones that don't. So true. Miss L's sleep (or lack thereof) consumes me and its all I can think about. Will she sleep through tonight? How many times will I have to get up to her? Should I put her down for a day sleep or will it just make her cranky? Do I ignore her cries when I'm trying to get her to have a day sleep? Or do I stay in there with her and try and pat her to sleep? Should I just go for a drive and hope that she falls asleep in the car? So many questions and thoughts running through my head I know that this too will pass, but it could be years away. I guess we just need to take each day as it comes. And I need to stop being so obsessy over it all.

Anyway, I digress, so I went shopping last night and Mr B requested I pick up some delicious Mexican takeaway dinner for him, which I did as the dutiful wife I am. I was wondering what I was going to get for myself, when I stumbled upon this scarf at Sussan
Reduced to $19.95, with a further 30% off that... that's $13.95... I could spend that $13.95 on dinner OR even better, I could spend  that $13.95 on this fancy new blue scarf and just make myself something at home? Brain, you are so clever. Fashion is my food you see, I don't need no takeaway meal, just a bright new scarf to take the hunger pangs away.

This is how my brain works. Is that scary? Maybe. Probably. Definitely.

In other news I've decided that this year is my year of getting rid of a credit card. I say 'a' credit card, because I have two. Yes, two. Two credit cards for one Cath is not good. Don't ask me how I ended up with two. It may have been a failed attempt to transfer some debt to a new card to take advantage of a 0% interest rate for 6 months and pay off my credit card, but in my naivety I just started adding purchases to said credit card. Massive FAIL. Now i'm dealing with two credit card debts which is just ridiculous. I finally fessed up to Mr B about it all. He was not impressed to say the least. So now, Operation Pay Off The Credit Card is in full swing. My goal is to have one paid off before the end of this year, and the other significantly reduced.

With that in mind... did you all know that J.Crew is now shipping to Australia?!!! It is very exciting, especially since they are celebrating this fact with Free Shipping and Free Returns until the end of April. Arggghhh!!! Go forth and shop my dear friends! I loved J.Crew when I was in the States in 2010, and a few of my fave fashion bloggers rave about J.Crews tailored cropped pants, cashmere sweaters and gingham shirts. Le sigh. Pity now I'm in the midst of Operation Pay Off The Credit Card - I have to be able to justify all purchases to Mr B as he will see them on our joint account. 'It was on sale... think of the savings!' isn't going to cut it!

Which reminds me... I may have bought Miss L this divine Missoni cardi that was heavily discounted on Ozsale. Its super cute. We sure do love the laaabels darling. Can't wait to see her in it.
C xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you! C xo